"Is copper poisonous?" and other frequently asked questions

"Je li bakar otrovan?" i druga najčešća pitanja

"Is copper poisonous?"

"Are copper dishes dangerous for health?"
"Why are copper pipes no longer used for plumbing?"
"Is it true that copper protects against flu and inflammation?"
"If we drink from a copper bottle, can we get copper poisoning?"
"Does copper really strengthen immunity?"

Your health is important to us.

Equally important to us is the quality of the copper we use to make our products, as well as the truth/scientific basis of the information circulating about copper.

In this and several subsequent articles, we bring you answers to the most common questions we receive about the use of copper bottles, glasses and containers.

"Is copper poisonous?"

Copper is one of the essential elements that participates in numerous biochemical reactions in the body.

Some of them are:

  • improves the efficient utilization of iron
    • creates melanin - which affects the color of our hair and eyes
    • regulates heart rhythm
    • regulates thyroid function
    • promotes faster healing of wounds
    • increases the production of red blood cells
    • lowers cholesterol levels
    • improves the health of connective tissue , hair and eyes
    • stimulates the body's appropriate reactions to enzymes


Therefore, it is clear that copper is necessary for the healthy functioning of the body.
But where did the information about copper toxicity come from?


"I'm a builder. You lie just to sell. We used to have copper water pipes, but then they told us it was toxic and now they don't use it anymore"

Sometimes we get comments like this, which make us sad but also motivate us to do our best to provide you with all the quality information.

There are several reasons why copper is used less and less for the construction of water pipes.

First of all, copper is an expensive material and its price is constantly increasing.

For the construction of water pipes with pure copper, it is necessary to allocate up to 10 times more funds than for pipes made of plastic.

Another fact is that copper oxidizes in contact with water .
Water pipes, once installed, are not controlled or cleaned.

If for some reason acidity increases in the water supply, the copper pipe oxidizes rapidly and green copper oxide appears .

That greenish or bluish layer (patina), if not cleaned, is toxic, which is also clear from the taste of the water that was in contact with those pipes.
This water becomes
very bitter and almost impossible to drink.

For these reasons, copper is less and less used for the construction of water pipes.

Fortunately, copper poisoning occurs in extremely rare cases.

This is because the palate is our first "line of defense" and will not allow us to ingest something as bitter as copper oxide.


"If we drink from a copper bottle, can we get copper poisoning?"

is copper toxic

The Enlight copper bottle is made of pure, high-quality copper, which destroys all bacteria and viruses that come into contact with it.
(and within a few minutes - more about it HERE) .

Because of this incredible property , it has a great effect on boosting immunity during flu and colds, but also during the rest of the year.

Regarding security:

IN THIS ARTICLE, you can read everything about the minimum amount of copper recommended by the World Health Organization (WHO) and how much copper is released into our bottle.

Unlike water pipes, the Enlight copper bottle is very easy to clean before the appearance of a green patina, which is good to do every 2-3 weeks, or as needed.

Cleaning is simple - just fill the bottle with lukewarm water and add a teaspoon of citric acid. Then it is left to rest for 2 hours and the bottle is shiny again.

Detailed cleaning instructions can be found at THIS LINK.

In THIS ARTICLE you can read more about copper cookware.
Can it be poisonous? Why is it made of tin (known as "kalajsa")?

Back to the blog

Leave a comment

Please note that comments must be approved before publication.